Friday, March 20, 2009

Happy Spring!!

First day of Spring finally! Now it’s time to bring on the lovely weather, but why was it snowing this morning? I woke up to snowflakes! Luckily for me, I finished up my classes on Thursday, so now it’s time to finish up my online work then sit back and relax! I now just have to clean up all the paperwork from during the quarter and throw out things I no longer need to keep around. Spring cleaning is more like it!


Photobucket
Photobucket


I figured I would share this with everyone since we are all interacting with blackboard constantly. I was asked by Dean Smith if I would be willing to share my blackboard with members for a meeting and presentation about blackboards use for Berkeley students and staff. Mrs. Gail Okun who is the
Associate Vice President of Advisement got in touch with me and explained to me how my information would be used. My personal information was not shared, so this was not a big concern to worry about. The presentation took place on Tuesday, March 17th and Mrs. Okun sent me an email stating, “The presentation was very successful and everyone was very impressed with the tools Berkeley uses in both Peoplesoft and Blackboard to keep faculty, advisors, and students on track.” Great news! We will be hearing from Mrs. Okun in the next week or so about some information she would like to share with the student body!

There is a funny side to this whole story because the night before Mrs. Okun called me and was unable to get into my blackboard. The reason was simply because blackboard kept telling me to change my password, so I changed it, not thinking about the presentation at this point, and she was locked out! So, when I went on to go and change it back to the password I had given her, I was then locked out and had to go through resetting my whole password! No worries though, LiveHelp got me back on track and the presentation was done without any mishaps! (Sorry Mrs. Okun! And thanks to LiveHelp!)

Blackboard is great to have. Many other colleges and universities do not have a set up like ours, which I am not sure how easy things are able to get done under those circumstances. I am on blackboard a lot during the day, so I find it helpful!
Other than that, I was asked to review a powerpoint presentation about registration for new students by Mrs. Okun. The presentation was very well organized and easy to follow. I made the suggestion that a slide or two is added about how students can get into their enrollment section and swap out classes if necessary. Also, they would then have the opportunity to print out their schedule in case it was lost or misplaced! Providing presentations to the students is a great idea because it helps them get a feel for everything and not just throwing them out there to figure out on their own! That would be terrible!

Mrs. Okun acknowledged my idea and asked for me to create a powerpoint presentation about information that could be helpful to students! I was thrilled and I am very excited to put something together that can be used! I will post it on here somehow when I finish for everyone to see!

Two quarters done already for me! They went so quick, it’s scaring me! My classes this quarter were a lot of fun and I met some new people, which is always fun! Out of all the classes I took, I really enjoyed the Principles of Management and the Excel/Access computer course. My other courses were not terrible, but there are always the one or two classes you prefer over others.

Hope everyone enjoys their weekend! Make sure you study if you have finals next week! It wouldn’t be a good idea to slack off now! Vacation is on its way so no worries!!


Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment