Saturday, March 7, 2009

The Weekend has arrived...Don't forget to change your clocks!

Happy Weekend! Is it really that happy though? I mean, we are going to lose a whole hour of sleep! Just so everyone knows, the clocks will be moved ahead one hour, not back! (Spring forward, fall back)

Photobucket

I have to say I am pretty happy the sun is shining and melting away all that snow that was dumped on us on Monday. I am also excited because my birthday is in a week! My last year as a teenager! I was talking to my mom the other day and I told her, “Mom, I’m getting old! In another year I’ll be 20!” She just laughed and told me, “You haven’t even turned 19 yet and you’re already worried!” Then we both just laughed! I just started to think about it though! I’m sure many of us have at some point in our lives!

This week was a busy one. It was my best friend’s birthday and I just had so much work to catch up on and get done. At work, things were a little hectic as well. I had to make my marketing phone calls yesterday, and I have to say I was very pleased with my results. I took 5 summary sheets of customers who were interested in having a quote worked up for homeowners insurance. I absolutely hated making phone calls, but now I am getting the hang of it. It also feels rewarding when you find people who are interested. The one thing I cannot stand is when these customers I call get angry at me because they feel as though I am being a solicitor. That is not the case at all, and I will explain why. The people I call are customers that already have insurance through our particular State Farm office. The marketing calls I am making are to actually benefit the customer and help them save money. They currently have automobile insurance through us, so when I call them I tell them that I am currently looking at their policy and would like to offer them a free homeowners or renters quote because they can save approximately 10% to 22% by having a homeowner or renters policy with us. For some, we can save them a great deal of money, while others are not interested or say they do not have the time. It’s actually very silly in my opinion. If we can save them money, why not take the time to check it out?

During the week I typed up my mission for the SGA club regarding my Children’s Miracle Network project I would like to get started up on campus. I did hear back from the director I previously worked with from Children’s Miracle Network, and she sent me in the correct direction. She is no longer in charge of the fundraising efforts, so my email was forwarded to the one who is now in charge. I am currently waiting to hear from that new person at the moment. I would like to share my mission with everyone, so please take a look. If there are any suggestions that can be made, please let me know!

Children’s Miracle Network Goal/Mission-Berkeley 2009
Berkeley College takes gratification in their meritorious efforts, dedication, and an increasing percentage of students who are willing to contribute to special causes and community projects. Through observing the needs of children and children’s hospitals, I would like to involve Berkeley College in making a difference amongst many lives. For the upcoming quarters, I would like to organize a campaign based on Berkeley students’ ideas that they are willing to share and contribute to. The following is a little background about Children’s Miracle Network (CMN):

Children’s Miracle Network: This is a non-profit organization, founded in 1983. They have established approximately 170 hospitals in North America and dedicate their time to the children who are ill. The hospitals help children overcome diseases and injuries that are leaving children from participating in everyday activities. Twenty-four hours a day, seven days a week, these hospitals give all of their support to children who need it most. There are many companies that help support this organization such as RE/MAX, Wal-Mart, Dairy Queen, RiteAid, and many others. These donations help make treatments possible and also help towards further research.
Our first step is to decide how to approach this idea in an effective matter. I have placed an email out to one of the directors at Children’s Miracle Network to introduce this idea. Next, a plan needs to be devised to reach out to the student body and staff. The following things can be helpful in starting this project and also in receiving inputs of others.
*Flyers
*Emails regarding events and donation details
*Bulletin Boards
*Surveys for student inputs
Some fundraising efforts that will be effective include:
*Bracelets-These bracelets are red and yellow the CMN colors and say Children’s Miracle Network on them
*Monthly Icons-For each month there are different icons. For example, winter was a snowman. October was a pumpkin. They are really cute!
*Tie-dye event
*Car Wash

Those are some of the ideas I have for right now, and if anyone has any other ideas, that would be great! I hope to have things up and running by the beginning of next quarter!

Another thing I have been up to, is asking students for a little feedback on their Berkeley College experience. On my online courses, I posted on the discussion board for students to provide me with some information regarding their experience with online courses and to provide me with a photo to put them on my blog! So far, I have one individual who is interested and we shall hear from her sometime next week in my blog!!

So here we come WEEK 10! Two more weeks to go and finals are soon approaching. It’s unbelievable how fast this quarter went. I have a few papers to finish up and a few projects so my next two weeks are going to be super busy! I hope everyone has a terrific weekend and hang in there; we’re almost to the SPRING weather and our week off to lounge and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment