Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Library Assistance

With midterms and maybe papers approaching soon, I wanted to review the help that our library has to offer. As many of you know, Berkeley College offers a library online, as well as on campus. I currently have a midterm project to work on as well as a research paper so I am going to walk you through the simple process of using the online library.


Photobucket


The other day in my Environmental Conservation class, Leslin Charles, who works in the libraries at the many locations, reviewed some techniques that were helpful for research. Her particular powerpoint presentation focused mainly on the project that was assigned to us, but I am going to give you an overview of everything and use some examples.


Photobucket


When you log onto blackboard, you will notice the library tab on the top. All you need to do is click on that tab and you will be brought into the library. Berkeley has offered us many databases to use for our research, so to find a specific one that will help within your area, click Database List A-Z. After clicking that, you will now see the many databases that are offered to us.

So, let's look at the midterm project I need to complete. I have to make a poster in regards to "Climate Change and my future" The topic I decided to focus on was the melting icecaps, since this may have dramatic effects on us in the future. One of the databases listed is Today's Science and Science Online. GREAT! This just narrowed my search. By clicking on whichever database I choose to browse first, I will be directed to a new page. On this page, I will check it out, see if there is anything that catches the eye, and then use the search box to search my topic. I decided to choose Today's Science as my first database pick. I typed in melting icecaps and 11 results came up. Now, I need to scroll through them and see what type of information I can find. If I'm not satisfied or still want more information, I can revise my search or simply try my other database which is Science Online.

There are so many different databases for any type of research you may be doing. If one database doesn't have what you are looking for, don't get frustrated or give up. Also, if you ever need help with finding information or working the online library, you can always email and ask for help.

I use the online library a lot because the databases are very helpful. I have another paper I have to work on for my English class that is about a movie of my choice. I picked The Notebook. In my paper, I will be discussing love, class differences and undying love, which in this case, when Allie gets sick with Alzheimer's disease, Noah was always by her side. I will research Alzheimer's to show the effect it could have on loved ones lives and things of that sort. I know in our discussion board, there were a few people who selected this movie as well, but I hope we all cover different points!

I plan to use the online databases for this research as well because I know I will be able to find some things!

If anyone has troubles after exploring the online library, feel free to contact Leslin Charles as lhc@berkeleycolleg.edu

I hope this was helpful and informative!

No comments:

Post a Comment