Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Pumpkin Carving!!!

Push away that snow and let me actually enjoy the month of October!! I carved two pumpkins the past 2 days and I am so excited now! I have not seen any snow flakes for a few days now, so that makes me pretty happy!! So here, let me share the pictures of my pumpkins! I am so excited about them!


Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket


A ghost and cat! I think I found my new talent! I hope everyone is carving pumpkins this year! Get in the spirit!

Anyways, hopefully everyone started registering for next quarter! So far I am all set, unless I choose to make any additions or changes to my schedule. Next order of business, I have another article to share from international business! Enjoy!!!

Week 3: What’s Holding India Back?
Source: http://www.businessweek.com
India has been using their many efforts to work towards an industrial revolution, which will provide many individuals with jobs and a better living environment. The biggest problem is acquiring the land needed to help begin this industrial revolution, which would be to begin the construction of steel plants. As of right now, there is approximately $98 billion of investments at stake because of these land issues. Here is what is holding India back: land where families and individuals have settled. The problem with acquiring land is because the land available is basically on top of villages where many reside. In order to get this industrial revolution on the move for India, they need to convince these individuals to move. That seems fine and dandy, but then these individuals face the problem of acquiring new land themselves. The village has gone as far to set up a gate, ready to stand against those who try to push them off of their land. These individuals worked hard to grow their farmlands and many rely on these crops to feed their children. The steel makers are upset with what is going on since they were promised these lands, and now are unable to acquire them. Some individuals in other areas have agreed to sell land and move elsewhere, but convincing others is still in the loop, putting the industrial revolution on hold for possibly years. If these Indians allow for the steel plants to be built, there could be significant changes in the years to come and many jobs will be created, as well as taking those who are in poverty, out of it.
Bottom line is that farmers do not understand industry, and industry has a hard time understanding farming. These are two completely different concepts, so these are the challenges they must be prepared to face. (Nandini) Everyone has their doubts when it comes to making changes for not only a small portion of the country, but for everyone in whole. Some are willing to sacrifice more than others, but it comes down to understanding the ins and outs of industry as well as farming. “The two basic features of the industrial revolution-technology and organization-began to apply on a world scale.” (Stearns) As we well know, technology and organization bring along many great opportunities, especially job creation.
I chose this particular article because the industrial revolution process is very interesting. Lately, I have been noticing a lot of this internationally, which is really great. Every little step can go a long way. Not only does an industrial revolution work towards stabilizing an economy, but it works towards creating jobs for those who are suffering from poverty. I enjoy reading about countries who are working towards making a difference in their business environments. I do have to say that those who don’t want to give up their land are in the right, but at the same time they need to look towards the brighter future of their country, and that is to become industrialized and create a vast amount of jobs.
Each week I engage in an article that I find interesting, but also something I can learn from. From the article itself and my research, it’s true that farmers lack the understanding of industry. Same goes for industry though with lacking the concept of farming. These farmers grow and maintain their lands for family purposes and if they are pushed away, how can they continue to feed their family? Sometimes we need to let go of things to really understand them, which this could be a valuable lesson for some of these farmers themselves. This article reintegrated that concept for me and I learned that India wants to push forward, but the risks of taking land away from these farmers’ causes some issues.

No comments:

Post a Comment