Sunday, January 9, 2011

Let Your Voices Be Heard Berkeley College Students!

Hi All! I hope everyone had a great weekend and are ready to start fresh in week 2! Get ready for more snow as well! Oh, one of the many joys of the winter season!

This blog will be serving at a high level of importance for all Berkeley College students and our staff. As you all know, I am very involved here at Berkeley, keeping up with my blog, volunteering when the opportunity arises, and addressing questions/concerns any of our students may have, who are both continuing and new. I also involve my own personal experiences with classes at Berkeley, and my overall experience at the college.

What I have recently come across was a story that was published in a NYC based newspaper known as The Village Voice. A writer published an article making up false statements about Berkeley College, and even went as far as to make up a student name, make up some bizarre story, and then even had the nerve to make up false quotes from a Berkeley College representative! The Village Voice has pulled this article and has apologized for their writers actions, but "SORRY" doesn't cut it.

Photobucket


I will be providing several links below in which you will be able to access this story and leave your comments about the situation. Berkeley College takes pride in their students and is there for them every step of the way. I have not once had a problem with Berkeley College and actually have received much more attention than I ever expected. At Berkeley, the staff is full of compassion towards their students and are willing to help us succeed even through the toughest of times. I will be graduating in the Summer with a degree in Marketing and I couldn't be more proud to say I am part of the Berkeley College Family. As a student, I have had so many positive experiences with the staff, professors, and even the maintenance people on campus. For this writer to claim that a "made up student" "amassed a large debt at Berkeley College without obtaining a degree" is completely out of line. You get what you pay for at Berkeley, and in the end, you walk away with a degree that you deserve!

Please take the time to read through the articles so that you all can see how shocked I was myself, to even come across a crazy story like this! I am very disappointed that Rob Sgobbo (SHAME ON YOU) would even make up such a story to bring down a very well-liked college, who does so much not only for their students, but even charities and so much more!

If anyone has any questions at all, please let me know! I encourage all my fellow Berkeley College students to let your voices be heard!! GO BERKELEY!!!!


Here are some links to the story:

http://www.villagevoice.com/2011-01-05/news/for-profit-blues/

http://www.businessinsider.com/village-voice-contributor-who-fabricated-sources-recently-won-journalism-award-from-columbia-2011-1

http://gawker.com/5727609/village-voice-caught-in-jayson-blair+style-fabrication-scandal

http://www.mediaite.com/print/village-voice-contributor-fabricated-sources/

http://www.mediabistro.com/fishbowlny/village-voice-pulls-story_b25117

http://jerseyshorereality.com/gossip/Village-Voice-Caught-in-Jayson-BlairStyle-Fabrication-Scandal-Journalismism-4502164.html

3 comments:

  1. Thanks Lyndsay! This is much appreciated and as you know our student body is fairly odd when it comes to certain things such being interactive and very supportive about these issues but I do support your blog. I am also the former President of the NYC campus of 2010.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I suggest this author (Sgobbo) enrolls @ Berkeley and takes an Ethics course. He needs it!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have had such a great experience with Berkeley College! I can't believe that this would happen to such a great school. Berkeley does offer such a great support system for students and even staff.

    ReplyDelete