Friday, January 7, 2011

Snowy End to Week 1!

We have made it to the end of Week 1! Woo Hoo! How was everyone's first week? Crazy, overwhelming, no big deal?? I'm sure for continuing students it was a little tough getting back in the swing of things, but for our new students, how did everyone make out during this first week?

Being that we just got over the holiday season, it was taking me a little while to get back on track, but I have officially created a schedule for myself and I was able to successfully get my work done for the week. What a relief! Now I get to enjoy the snow and eventually shovel myself out! Ah, but it's the weekend, at least I don't have anywhere important to really be. I was actually under the weather these past few days, so I'm in complete lazy mode as it is. The only good thing with not really having the energy to leave the house, was the fact I could read and catch up on my homework.

I actually want to share one of my discussions this week from my honors class. We were given articles to read about the Columbine High Shootings and applying Freud's theories to how these boys were thinking during this terrible tragedy and if there could be any possible relation. When this occurred, I was very young, so of course I didn't know the full extent of what had actually happened. This week, I was given the opportunity to actually look at the writings of Eric Harris and Dylan Klebold, the two boys who went on a shooting rampage back in 1999 at Columbine High. It was really disturbing to read what these boys actually wrote about in their journals but I now came to realization that they had so much hatred built up towards those around them. I want to share this link with you which will link you to see the actual journal entries from these boys. There is also plenty more information about the shootings, which I think will really surprise you! If you do take a look, please share some feedback. http://acolumbinesite.com/end.html
Another interesting assignment I engaged in this week had to do with the time we spend with the media. Now I want to ask all of you, approximately, how much time do you think you spend with the media on a daily basis?? You may not think it's all that much, but add that up over the course of a year, and it's insane what your result will come out to be. I will be paying special attention to any statistics that come up throughout the text in my Entertainment Studies class and will be sharing with you guys. It may be very surprising to many of you!

As the week winds down, take a look at what you have accomplished the past week. Did you get all of your required textbooks? Notebooks? Pens & Pencils? Calculator? Make sure you come prepared to class and be ready to learn!

I hope everyone enjoys the snowfall and has an even better weekend! Safe travels and I'll catch up with you all in week 2!! It's already moving along pretty quickly!

No comments:

Post a Comment