Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Heatwave On The Way

Well there goes the nice cool weather we had for the past few days, now back to the heat and I am not particularly happy with that one! Oh well, I will save the complaining for another day since at least now I have an excuse to go the beach right?!

Photobucket


We are slowly wrapping up the Spring quarter and then summer time it is! Some of you may be taking off for the summer while others, like myself, will stick it out and continue to plug on through. Luckily for me, it's going to be my last quarter, so of course I will suck it up and be done with it! I've said it a hundred times, but I honestly cannot believe that my college career is coming to an end in about 4 months. While I'll be done with school, most of my friends will have another year left and I'll be living the life. Actually, I'll probably be really jealous and wish I was back in school, but I won't be able to judge that one till I'm actually done!

I started thinking today about when and where I want to start my job search. I had to write a career assessment plan for my career management class and while that outlines my intentions, I still need to start the actual looking and selection process. I want to find a company that is a smaller functioning company for now, this way I can build up my skills and then in 3-5 years, start looking into a bigger company who would be interested in hiring me. I'm not going to completely eliminate bigger companies out of my search because a really awesome entry level position could come along for me, so I will be open to see what does come along.

I've browsed through a few websites, Monster in particular, to see what kind of jobs are currently being offered as far as entry level and marketing positions. There are people out there looking, which I should be really, really, really happy about considering many students coming out of college, have an extremely hard time finding a job. I also like to remember that Berkeley offers life-time assistance with finding a job, so even if I did get stuck, I could always visit the good old Career Services office and ask for their help in locating a job. I know it won't be instant, but getting the word out, does go a really long way.

Now that I am winding down and really do want to locate a job upon graduation, I am going to begin doing some research on some companies little by little. I will take notes and possibly inquire more about the position and see where it takes me.

I would also like to extend this advice to my fellow classmates who are going to be winding down on their college experience as well. Start thinking about what kind of company you want to work for, what type of work you want to do, and start gathering all the necessary pieces of information you will need for later on down the road.

And remember, if you EVER need help with any job searches or inquiring specific types of information about a company, contact Career Services. They will be more than willing to help you locate a job and help you generate some useful information in your job search!

That's all for now! I hope everyone has a great week and remember, FINALS are approaching quickly, so any last minute tutoring you need, visit the Academic Support Center, and they will be more than happy to help you out!!

Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment