Thursday, July 21, 2011

As We Near The End Of Week 3....

Yes, I said it, we are nearing the end of yet another week in the Summer Quarter!I hope everyone is having a great week so far, and in a few more hours we can say TGIF!

I want to ask everyone to take a few minutes and read the statement made in this photo posted below:

Photobucket


We have so many troops who are fighting for us and making sure that we stay safe, yet sometimes we really don't understand what they go through on a day to day basis. Yes, it's hot over here in New Jersey, but just think of how hot it is over there on top of their gear they must wear! I got this photo from a friend of mine who is a military wife and her husband is currently serving overseas. Please take a moment and give thanks to our military and all they do for us! God Bless! <3

What else do I have to talk about? Well, I actually began commenting more on the Facebook pages for both the main campuses and the online campus. I shared my blog on the online Facebook page the other day asking for some suggesting about what to talk about in my blog. I had a student request some information about how you actually go about obtaining your internship. That is a great question to ask especially being an online student where most of your interactions with career services is based via email or phone, whereas an on-site student has the ability to meet face to face with a career service advisor.

So let me explain this process a little bit. If you are a new student starting out, you may not even know much about the internship process yet because it's still a while away before you reach that point. When you are in your 11th quarter (going for a Bachelor's degree) you will take a course known as Career Management. This course will help you build your resume and give you all the necessary tips needed to make sure you shine in your interviews. This class will also require for you to find an internship or have Berkeley assist you with that process. You can most certainly go out on your own and find an internship, like I did, or simply meet with an advisor who will find you an internship that lines up with your related field of study.

You will spend your time in that class perfecting your resume, cover letter, thank you letter, and things of that sort. You will also prepare a career plan that will illustrate what you hope to achieve in the future. It's very helpful and will prepare you for your job and interviewing processes.

Then when your 12th quarter comes, you will be an intern! This more than likely won't be your only class since you still may have some credits to complete, so time management will be key here! Since I am in my internship now, I will continue to post updates about my experiences and share any tips I can about how to manage time more effectively with an internship and other classes you may have to take!

Please, as much as you want to be done with school, don't rush it! Enjoy the time you have because before you know it, you will be nearing graduation asking yourself, "Where did the time go?"

Stay cool and enjoy your weekend everyone!!

No comments:

Post a Comment