Thursday, August 6, 2009

New Students

In about a little over a month, we will have a whole new crowd of individuals beginning their college experience. Instead of waiting until last minute, I wanted to share some things about Berkeley College and what we have to offer. By now, those who are attending in the Fall, have most likely been to the campus, and seen where the buildings are and which ones contain admissions/advisement/student accounts/financial aid. If you would like, there are videos that give you a tour around campus. The link below will direct you to the information/video about the Garret Mountain Campus. If you are attending another campus, you have the choice to select another. http://www.berkeleycollege.edu/campuses/GarretMountain.htm

This video will give you a feel for the campus and where you will need to go for classes. Also the information that is provided, will give you an idea of where everything is and how the departments can assist you.

Berkeley is very involved in the community, so as new students, now is the time to get involved! Also, we have soccer and basketball teams that you can join! I was looking into joining the basketball team, but unfortunately was unable to with my schedule and all. If you are planning on living on campus, I suggest checking it out. There is always something new and exciting going on!

One of the most important things in college is to be on time to your classes. Professors can not stand when the students stroll in late, especially when they are beginning their lecture. It shows disrespect and can also hurt your grades, so be on time and be prepared. Also, it isn't high school anymore, so yes cell phones are allowed, but its a good idea to silent them or at least put on vibrate. If the call is absolutely necessary to answer, please get up and walk out quietly. Everyone has emergencies every once and a while.

You will meet a lot of new people so just keep a positive approach to every new thing that comes your way. Its always good to make friends on campus, especially if you have an abundance of time between your classes.

I was nervous as can be on my first day of college. Even though orientation was the first time, it was nerve wrecking not really knowing anyone except a few familiar faces from high school. Orientation is great! You meet many different people and play ice breakers to get to know and meet people. Once you start your classes, you will meet those same people and even more. I remember the ice breaker i did at my orientation. You were asked to take as much toilet paper as you think you would need if you were stranded on an island. I just kept taking more and more off that roll, but then I came to find, for every piece of toilet paper I had, I had to tell everyone in a group about myself. Needless to say, I was there for a while, and started breaking up my sentences with every piece I had!

College is a great experience and the best time to get involved. Even if you weren't big on getting involved in high school, now is the time to break that habit! For the next couple of weeks, I will be posting some blogs about starting your new journey and also going to check out our facebook and myspace page to track down some new Berkeley students who will be starting in the fall!

No comments:

Post a Comment