Thursday, January 14, 2010

Week 2 Wrap up!

Where did time go this week? It was one thing after the other for me and now I'm sitting here thinking, wow it's already Thursday!! It was another busy week packed with school work and plenty of other things!

The first thing I really want to touch base on is the devastation in Haiti. This news broke out in the beginning of the week and a lot of support has already been given to these families and individuals who are left in such difficult situations. I was just looking on CNN.com at some of the pictures from this occurrence and it's very sad. On my way to school this morning, I was listening to Z100 and they were telling a story where this man was about 6 or 7 hours away from his wife and she was able to get on the phone and contact him, and he drove all the way back home and unburied her with his bare hands to get her to safety. It's stories like that, that really touch the heart and make you want to do so much for these people who were injured. As I am sitting here, I am scrolling through all the stories listed about Haiti. Some are speaking about the devastation, while others are looking on the brighter side about all the relief efforts that are being put towards this devastation to help out.

I just want everyone to take a minute and think about all of these people who are going through such troubles right now because of this earthquake. Also, please join these relief efforts and make a donation. Even if it is just a dollar, that dollar can go far! Please take a minute and make a donation to these people. We need to all be in this together and give them a hand!

Here is a video I would like to share:



There are many disaster relief efforts so please get involved!!

On another note, I want to discuss a video I helped out with at the Bergen Campus yesterday! (HI MIKE! < you said you would be reading this, so here is your personal shout out!)

So yesterday I adventured down to the Bergen campus, which I have never been too. It's much different than the Garret Mountain campus, but very nice. I feel comfortable now traveling down there if I ever want to take classes at the Bergen campus. But anyways, the point of going down there was to help out with a DECA video Berkeley was producing. When Mrs. Covino asked if I would be interested in being a part of this, I was very excited! I was involved in DECA, so of course I wanted to help out! I met some very nice people and had a lot of fun. After moving the mouse around, typing some things on the computer, navigating some websites, making lists, it felt like I was making a college choice all over again! That leads to what the main objective of the video is, which is to describe/show the steps in making a choice about which major to study in college. DECA, Distributive Education Clubs of America, places a lot of emphasis on marketing for example. This was what really steered me in the direction of becoming a marketing major. From participating in class, working on projects, and competing in regional, state, and national competitions, there are a lot of skills to be learned and applied to future things in life. Not to mention the workshops I attended from being in DECA. There is so much to take advantage of through this program, so those who are in it, stick with it! It definitely pays off in the end if you become engaged in the program and take everything you learn from it and apply it throughout the rest of your life. (Thank you to everyone for involving me!!)

So we have reached the end of Week 2! Time to rest up and get ready for week 3! I am loaded with homework for this weekend, mostly reading, but still enough to keep me busy!! I hope everyone has an enjoyable weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment