Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Student Question To Me!

Ok, so my car EXTERIOR temperature reading today was 91 degrees...What is going on here?! I am loving that it's not freezing cold, but is this a sign for a long, hot summer? I sure hope not!


Photobucket

I wanted to pop on here real quick because I had a very good question that someone asked me today. As everyone knows, I am going for a marketing degree. Well, since it's the first week of the Quarter, I need to introduce myself on the discussion boards and little bit about what I do and what my major is. I posted my response a few days ago, and today I logged on and came across a post from a fellow student who is also pursuing a degree in Marketing, but on an Associate's level. Her question to me was "Do you know what would you like to do with your Marketing degree?"

I thought this was a great question to address. You always think you know what you want to do so you select a major that that career falls under, but with a degree like marketing, there is just so much to choose from. My response back was the following: "I am looking to go into Advertisement with my marketing degree. You have to keep in mind, there is so much you can do with a marketing degree so it's all about finding what interests you the most within the field. For me, it was so easy because advertising is more of the creative side of it and I love to be creative, so that was what led me to this decision. You might want to research online all the different options that are open under a marketing degree and see if anything comes up that you can see yourself potentially doing. Hope this helps! Good luck!"

Sometimes a focus in a major comes easy, like for me, I knew I wanted to do something in the creativity aspect of marketing, but you have to remember that marketing is everywhere. Even in this humanities class I am taking, where we deal with the theatre and hands on experiences, there is a business side to it. There is marketing, there is business administration. I always thought that theatre was just acting and pursuing things of that nature, but that is not the case. Part of my job for this class is to actually organize events and do a lot of the business work, which is right up my alley. An option for the final project is to develop a marketing plan. Again, that's right up my alley!

My advice to everyone is to do a little research about your major. It can make all the difference and you can discover things you never thought were part of your desired field.

Keep the questions coming. I am always here to give any advice that I can offer.

No comments:

Post a Comment