Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Week 2 in progress!

Happy Tuesday everyone! We are officially in the second week of the quarter, which means another 2 weeks and we start scheduling already for the summer quarter! Time seems to just be flying by, and I really wish it would slow down!

I was down on the Garret Mountain Campus today since Tuesdays/Thursdays are my class days. Upon arriving at the campus, there were lots of cars and then a big green screen set up on the grass. It looked like they were filming another Berkeley commercial and there were also some students dressed up in their cap and gowns, since graduation is approaching, maybe they were putting together a piece for graduation, who knows, but it's always exciting to see some things happening on campus! Parking was also a complete disaster this morning. I drove around for 10 minutes, since I had the time to spare, to find a decent parking space. Luckily, it paid off and I got a decent space.

Today my humanities class had a meeting with the Shakespeare Theatre. I remember a few weeks ago telling everyone about the meeting we had down in Madison, but this time we had them come to the campus and meet the rest of the students. It was a really great meeting because now all of the students are on the same page as to what the course is all about and all the opportunities that are there for us. It also made some of the students realize that whether they act or not, the theatre has a spot for everyone. We think theatre, we immediately think acting, but that is so not the case. In order for a theatre to actually function, you need the business side of things. You need marketing, you need accounting, you need business management, and so much more! Business is what makes things happen, and that's why this course is going to be such a great experience for many of us. The hands on opportunities are going to allow these students to explore and learn more about themselves in ways in which they never knew existed.

I was not able to participate in one of the events this weekend, but the theatre gave us such positive feedback, that it was very rewarding! As the weeks unravel, there is so much more that the Berkeley students will be doing. I am hoping that during some of these events and jobs that I can photograph and bring a sense of everything going on to everyone. I will also be getting ready to post the dates for the upcoming Spring Festival at Berkeley starting May 8th! I was given the opportunity to be house manager for the upcoming play, Arms and the Man, so I am really looking forward to that!!

My advice to everyone is to get out there and try something new. Get yourself involved in things because you never know what you will come across and end up falling in love with. The things I have been doing so far this quarter have really opened me up to new opportunities and I am so thankful for that. It's worth taking a risk and getting yourself out there because you can go so far!!

I hope everyone has a great second week!!

No comments:

Post a Comment