Monday, June 7, 2010

Case of the Mondays!

Sadly the weekend had to come to an end and Monday had to roll in rather quickly! Happy Week 10 everyone! Two more weeks, so hang on in there! I was just looking through my papers today and I have to get cracking on some papers I need to write that contribute to a good part of my final grade. Yikes! Procrastination will not get the best of me! (I hope!)

I just realized that during the day I always see or think of things I could put on my blog and then when I sit down to actually do it, I get a writers block and don't know where to begin. I really could use a nap, so that could be my other problem, right? Sounds like a good excuse to me! Haha

Most of my topics come from articles I see on either Yahoo! when I go to check my email or they come from homework assignments in which I need to find an article to break down. Lately, I have been taking advantage of all the search engines we have on our basic internet. I am especially taking advantage of the databases that are offered to us on Blackboard. I am sure I have mentioned the advantages of these databases before, but in all honesty, they help you find such great information.


Photobucket

^^^These are just a few search engines you can use^^^

If you are looking for a more in depth search, definitely take advantage of what Berkeley has to offer!!

I recently just did some research for an article for a paper I need to write for my Business Law class. We had to find an article that was somewhere outside of NJ, NY, and PA. When I first started, I just did a basic search but then I began taking advantage of all the advanced options you can select when doing your research. I came across a lot of articles that I am actually still sorting through because I need to be able to get 3-5 pages out of a little article persuading my reader why this particular case was either judged correctly or not. A good part of the paper will be explaining the case, but then I need to be able to have enough information that will support my standing and judgments.

I personally love writing, but it's just a matter of getting past these searches. I know I always learn something new when I research, so it truly is a beneficial experience in my opinion.

As week 10 continues on, I will need to get cracking on these papers and end the Spring quarter on a good note! For now, it's off to do some reading and relax for the rest of the afternoon! Have a fabulous week!!! Just remember, 2 weeks till Summer!!!

2 comments:

  1. Hi Lyndsay! I am one of the librarians here at Berkeley and think it's great that you are using the library for your research! Which database did you use for Business law?

    I just wanted to throw this out there that a search engine and a database are two different things. Databases are paid for by your tuition and all content can be trusted and cited because it's been pre-selected by librarians and scholars. Search engines are free to anyone with computer access and there are no review standards with regard to content. Just think of it this way, if you Google a topic, you will probably get a Wikipedia page in your results, but if you look for the same topic in one of Berkeley's databases, you will never get a Wikipedia page in your results!

    Keep up the good work on your blog! I really like reading it :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Alyssa! Thank you so much! If you have any other tips about using the Berkeley databases, please send me an email and we could put together an informative post! lyndsay-wright@mymail.berkeleycollege.edu

    Thanks again for your kind words!!

    ReplyDelete