Thursday, June 24, 2010

Finally time to relax!


Photobucket


My final grades were finally posted this evening, and good news for me again! All A's! What a relief especially after I stressed over my final paper in Business Law for the past few weeks! I managed to get a 100 on that paper, so let me just tell you, I am beyond thrilled. It just comes to show, hard work and dedication will bring you a long way! I finally have the satisfaction of relaxing and preparing for my vacation to Florida next week! At this point, I need a break from work and school. I'm ready to start fresh again that's for sure! I'll also be going into my 8th quarter here at Berkeley, which means 4 more quarters until I am done! I don't even want to think about that, so I'm quickly switching my topics!


Did everyone have a successful Spring quarter? Let me know how you all made out! Also, anyone else getting ready to go away for the week we have off?

Since we are getting ready to take a break, I came across an article on Yahoo! about how to keep our brain/minds sharp! I figured I would share some of these insights because you never know when they could come in handy.

The top 5 ways they suggest to keep your brain sharp include the following:

1) Chill Out! I think I need to take this particular tip into consideration since whenever I need to remember to do something or study, I can never just relax myself. It's a constant running around, which isn't always helpful. From the article: "The brain remembers better when it’s relaxed, say researchers at the California Institute of Technology, so take a few minutes each day to breathe deeply or meditate."

2)Focus on the future: Some of us are fine with this, others are scared to think about what the future might bring! Always be optimistic in my opinion!! From the article: "Psychologically it keeps us motivated," Dr. Edgerly says. "There's evidence that people who have a purpose in life or who are working on long-or short-term goals appear to do better." In other words, keep your brain looking forward."

3) Go for a walk: Best advice! Whenever I feel a little flustered or just need a break to get away and think, a walk is the best solution. Exercising is such a good thing for you, so get out there and enjoy it! From the article: "When you exercise, you release chemicals that are good for your brain. It's like a mini fountain of youth in your brain, and the only way you can get it is exercise." In other words, when you take care of your heart, you take care of your brain."

4) Snack on berries! Yum, food! I love berries so this is a good thing for me. If you don't like berries well then snack on another fruit! From the article: "Blueberries have compounds called anthocyanins that help communication between brain cells and appear to improve memory, says Robert Krikorian, PhD, professor of psychiatry and behavioral neuroscience at the University of Cincinnati. In general, Dr. Edgerly says the darker the fruit or vegetable, the better. She adds, "It's a healthy, well-rounded diet, especially one that mimics a Mediterranean diet, and that's fish, lots of fruits and vegetables, and red wine, everyone likes the red wine part." Try it out!!

5) Last but not least, Learn Something New! Hey, this can't be that hard! From the article: "A UC Irvine study found that mental stimulation limits the debilitating effects of aging on memory and the mind. But the best thing for your brain, Dr. Edgerly insists, is when you combine learning something new with physical activity. "It should be something like dancing, or coaching a sport. Or go learn golf with your girlfriends. That sort of thing is even better for your brain than, say, a crossword puzzle.” Not a bad gig! Always good to be active and learn!

Interested in reading the article in full? Here is the link: http://health.yahoo.net/articles/aging/5-easy-ways-keep-your-brain-sharp

Just figured I would take away from the school talk for the time being! I hope everyone is preparing for their week off and if you plan on going away, I would love to hear all about it!! Enjoy your vacation everyone!!!


Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment